top of page
Search

The Truth behind charity shops AND UPCYCLED CLOTHING.

Updated: Mar 8, 2023



As fast fashion continues to dominate the retail industry, the average person is purchasing and discarding clothing at an unprecedented rate. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the United States generates approximately 16 million tons of textile waste each year, and only 15% of that is donated or recycled. The remaining 85% ends up in landfills, where it can take hundreds of years to decompose. So, what can be done to reduce textile waste and what is the real truth behind charity shops and upcycled clothing models?

thrift store, sustainable fashion, upcycling
Charity stores are fun and creative but how sustainable are they?

One solution to textile waste is to donate clothing to charity shops. Charity shops are a great way to donate and purchase second-hand and upcycled clothing materials, but it's important to be aware of the truth behind these shops. While charities use the revenue from the sale of donated items to fund their programs, not all donated items end up on the shop floor. Some may be unsellable due to damage, wear and tear, or simply not being in style. In these cases, charities often sell the unsellable items to textile recycling companies, which can turn the items into rags or other materials. However, some charities have faced criticism for exporting unsold clothing overseas, which can have negative impacts on local economies and communities. Therefore, it's important to research and choose a reputable charity that has transparent and ethical practices.

Charity shop, sustainable clothing, upcycled garments
Do some checks on the charity stores to make sure they are as sustainable as you think.

Another option for disposing of old clothing is recycling. Many local councils offer textile recycling bins where you can drop off old clothing, and some brands also offer take-back programs where they will create new styles from old clothing. Textile recycling is an environmentally-friendly option as it prevents clothing from ending up in landfills, but it's important to note that not all materials can be recycled. For example, clothing made from mixed fibers or with added embellishments may not be recyclable. However, by choosing to recycle clothing made from materials such as cotton or wool, individuals can help reduce the amount of textile waste that ends up in landfills.


landfill, ending fast fashion, sustainable clothing manufacturers
Fashion is one of the largest causes of landfill

Finally, upcycled clothing is another option for old and unloved garments. Upcycling involves taking old clothing and turning it into something new and useful, such as turning a t-shirt into a reusable shopping bag. Upcycling is a creative and sustainable option that can help extend the life of clothing. At Masala Threads, we provide a huge array of sustainable and organic and recycled fabrics. We also can source special antique fabrics for you from our amazing array of artisans and locations across India.


In conclusion, there are several options for disposing of old clothing, including donating to charity shops, recycling, and upcycling. It's important to choose a reputable charity that has transparent and ethical practices and to be aware of the environmental impacts of different disposal methods. By making a conscious effort to reduce textile waste, individuals can help reduce the impact of the fashion industry on the environment.


77 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page